Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Trying a Pie Crust

.
Got the original from Cooks Illustrated- this is my first attempt at lowcarbing this recipe.  It's probably not complete in its conversion, but this is where I started:

1 1/4 cups Carbalose flour, divided
6 Tablespoons salted butter, ice cold, cut into at least 6 slices
4 Tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, ice cold, cut into at least 4 slices
2 Tablespoons unflavored vodka, straight from freezer
2 Tablespoons ice cold water

Place 3/4 cup flour in work bowl of food processor.  Drop butter and shortening slices on top of flour and process about 15 seconds, or until mixture resembles small-curd cottage cheese.  Using a rubber spatula, scrape down sides of work bowl and incorporate scrapings into mixture in work bowl with a few quick pulses.  Add remaining flour and pulse about 5 times, just to evenly distribute dry flour into the shortening mixture. 

Transfer mixture to a medium mixing bowl.

In a small cup, combine vodka, ice water and Splenda.  Sprinkle liquid over the flour mixture.  Using a rubber spatula and a folding motion, mix liquids in until dough is slightly tacky, and sticks together.  

Form mixture into a flattened ball and wrap in plastic wrap.  Chill for several hours before rolling out to fit in a pie tin. 

At this point, I have the dough mixed, and chilling.  I will update this post when I've rolled it out and baked it.
.
OK, I tried to roll this out, but it's 95+ degrees here, and it's not rolling well at all.  Very moist dough.  Ultimately, I patted it into my pie pan, and pricked the bottom and baked it (~20 minutes @  425F).  It's cooling now, so no opinions yet on flavor and/or flakiness.

You can see that I didn't get it patted out evenly, by the uneven color:

No comments:

Post a Comment