Monday, July 3, 2017

Facebook- and a Spinach Souffle recipe!

I am so disappointed! After all these years (since 1/2/01) of cooking and eating LCHF and/or keto, I still have newbies in these "support" groups telling me I'm misinformed, uninformed, ignorant, wrong. They spout off because someone told them something and they took it as gospel. They offer up 'proof' to show me how wrong I am: someone's blog, another post on FB, a MLM advertisement. So I did what any self-respecting veteran of this WOE would do: I blocked the offensive newbies then I removed all my posts from the groups where I feel most abused, so that there will be no further discussion. I don't think I'm allowed to speak my mind about how the admins are failing us (and even if it was allowed, I've deleted all of my end of the arguments), so I won't post this, or any similar message, on those group pages. From here on out, it's just venting:

Recently I had some snowflake telling me about how vegetables pull carbohydrates out of the air and add them as they cook. This is why cooked vegetables have higher carb counts than raw ones. REALLY?!?!?! I tried to explain, in my most elementary vocabulary how that works, but the argument just went on. And on. And on. This particular snowflake actually called me "uninformed", suggested I do a little research before posting and apologized for not being able to change facts. I replied by stating that I was NOT uninformed and atempted a basic explanation of how cooked vegetables get higher carb counts, but she wasn't having it. (I also apologized for the fact that facts are facts.) Finally an admin (It was a moderator, but they like to call themselves admins. Might be a power thing; I don't know) stepped in and turned off commenting, but it was too little too late. IMO, the one who was being abusive should have been removed and the thread should have been edited to remove the abusive post, but who am I?  LOL

In any case, should you wonder why cooked vegetables are higher in carbs than raw ones- let's take a look at spinach. A pound of raw spinach is going to fill 8 to 10 measuring cups. A pound of raw spinach contains 104 calories and 16.48 grams of carbohydrate, 10 grams of fiber. Now if we cook that pound of spinach, we lose a LOT of its water content. Therefore, what started out as 8 to 10 cups of raw spinach, will yield only about ONE cup of cooked spinach. The only thing lost, however, is water. The 104 calories, 16.48 grams of carbs and 10 grams of fiber remain. 

BTW, spinach is an excellent source of potassium, and many people who follow the keto WOE don't get enough potassium. It's always better to get your potassium from foods than supplements, and keeping potassium in balance with the other electrolytes is crucial to your health. Please do NOT supplement with OTC tablets. Try a decadent Spinach Soufflé for a delicious boost of potassium. If you are eating plenty of avocado, spinach and wild salmon and still feel that you are low on K, see a doctor, and get a blood test and a prescription for potassium. This is not something to play around with.

Spinach Soufflé

A related question that comes up is regarding fresh fruit -vs- dried fruit. Grapes are easy to understand, so we'll go there. Start out with 2 1/3 cups of fresh grapes. They have 140 calories, 38 grams of carbohydrate and 2 grams of fiber. If you dry them, they lose water. WATER. Nothing else. They still have 140 calories, 38 grams of carbohydrate and 2 grams of fiber as raisins. HOWEVER, the raisins will only fill a 1/3 cup measure.

I'm not sure why that's so hard for some people to understand.  Ahhhhh snowflakes....

No comments:

Post a Comment