Monday, July 31, 2017

Posh Squash

It's getting to be squash season in the Midwest, and it's been squash season in other places already. I'm not a huge squash fan, but I made this recipe several years ago and loved it so much that I planted yellow crookneck squash, green bell peppers and onions in my yard the next summer. My soil is pretty alkaline, and I don't have time to acidify it every time it rains, so I'm not growing them this summer. No point when blossom end rot is inevitable, right? Anyway, they're cheap in the grocery, so I can still make it, and not break the bank. I will be growing them next summer; all my classes will be online so I will have more time to spend with my gardens. I highly recommend you try this dish, even if you're not fond of squash. I never was- until I tried this.


I wish you could smell this!




 Posh Squash

2 pounds  yellow squash -- crookneck
1 cup  mayonnaise 
2 eggs 
1 small  onion -- finely chopped 
1/2 green bell pepper -- chopped 
pinch  basil 
pinch  rosemary 
salt and pepper -- to taste 
3/4 cup  grated Parmesan cheese -- green can is OK 
1 Tablespoon  butter -- melted (I don't use the butter)


Scrub but do not peel the squash. Cut off stem and blossom ends and discard. Cut squash into 1/2" slices. See Notes*
Put squash into a small amount of boiling water. Use the salt and pepper to season to taste. Boil the squash until tender then drain and set aside. See Notes**
Beat eggs, blend in the mayonnaise, onion, green pepper, oregano and rosemary. Stir in the well-drained squash and season to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
Spoon into 2 1/2 quart casserole (See Notes***), sprinkle with the Parmesan Cheese and dot with butter.
Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. It is done when it is puffed up and brown.                                    
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (based on 8 servings): 291 Calories; 29g Fat (83.3% calories from fat); .6g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 331mg Sodium.  




Bake half a recipe in a pie pan
 

NOTES : 


* I used 3 big(ger) squashes- sliced from neck down until I got through the neck. 

Then I halved them lengthwise, and lengthwise again. 
Continued slicing these lengthwise quarters about the same thickness as the neck.

** I steamed, rather than boiled, my squash slices.

*** For 1/2 the recipe, I used a pie pan.


1 comment: